Thursday, June 16, 2011

Stocking the Freezer - 7 days and counting!

Maternity leave is a wonderful thing. It gives you the time you need to make sure you are fully prepared for the soon-to-arrive bundle of joy; to wash every onesie, burp cloth and blanket; to fold them and organize them in their appropriate drawers; to take them back out, fold them a second time, and place them in a very similar, but strangely better spot. (I may or may not have done this several times already.) It allows you to assemble the stroller, hang some wall-hangings, and install the car seat, and that extra seat-base for the second car. Then, it affords the (probably unnecessary) opportunity to go back the next day and do it all over again, just in case. It lets you take your husband back to USA Baby for the umpteenth time, pick up that rocking chair (the last item for the nursery!), put it together and give it a few test rocks - just to make sure it's comfy and rocky and ready for our little bambino.  It is my last chance to do those last few things. And so, I have cleaned our condo from top to bottom, packed my hospital bag, read every baby book I own multiple times, organized the endless pile of diapers (that will somehow only manage to last us a week), set up the nursery and the bassinet, and assembled every swing, play gym and bouncer we own or ever could own. Oh, and I picked out a birth announcement.



But as of today I am 39 weeks pregnant, and I find myself restless and quickly running out of patience (not to mention clothes that fit - my poor husband has had to hand over his Notre Dame lacrosse shorts and multiple, mostly Steelers t-shirts because I refuse to buy any more maternity clothes this late in the game). So despite all of the wonderfulness, my maternity leave has also given me far too much time to sit around and over-analyze each and every slight pain, ache or never-felt-before sensation. With each one, I freeze, hoping that the time has finally come. I stare at the clock begging my body to do it again. Of course, nothing ever happens. My contractions are irregular and for the most part painless (although often times uncomfortable) and I find myself quickly realizing that yes, I will, in fact, be pregnant forever.

So today, one week out from my due date, I knew that I had to find something to keep my hands busy and my mind distracted. With every item on the baby checklist complete, the only thing left to do was stock the freezer. I know that whenever this baby finally decides to grace us with her presence, that we will be overjoyed and madly in love. But I also know that we will quickly become overwhelmed and beyond sleep deprived. (Insanely happy? Of course. Insanely sleepy? Uh, that too). I am sure on most days, the last thing I will have the time or energy to do will be to cook dinner. So in anticipation of the inevitable, and the need to just do absolutely anything before I lose my mind waiting for this sweet (though apparently stubborn) baby girl, I am going to make and freeze several meals over the course of the next week that can be easily reheated on a moment's notice. So for starters, the freezer's menu will include: Chicken and Vegetable Casserole, Minestrone, banana bread and/or muffins (at Adam's request) and today's dish: Spinach and Meat Lasagna.

Start off by boiling a large pot of water. Once the water comes to a rapid boil, add a touch of salt and 12 sheets of lasagna, and then bring back to a boil. Cook for approximately 8 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Meanwhile, brown 1 lb of ground beef over medium heat.


Once the meat is cooked, drain the excess grease and return to the burner. I happened to have leftover spicy Italian sausage from a meal earlier in the week, so I chopped it up and added it to my beef. Next, add a cup or so of homemade or store bought pasta sauce, a bit of pepper, onion powder and basil.


In a large bowl combine 15 ounces of ricotta cheese, 5 oz of shredded parmesan cheese, 2 eggs (beaten), and 10 ounces of chopped spinach.


Once the lasagna noodles are cooked, drain the pot and lay the noodles out so that they do not stick together and end up tearing.


In the bottom of a large lasagna pan (such as the one shown below by Mario Batali!) spread about 1/2 cup of your pasta sauce.


Layer 4 sheets of pasta, slightly over lapping. 


Next spread half of the ricotta and spinach mixture over the noodles until completely covered.


On top of the cheese mixture, spread 1/2 of the meat mixture.


Repeat the last 3 steps. Finally cover the entire dish with the remaining pasta sauce.


Cook for approximately 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Once the lasagna was completely cooled, I covered it and put it in the freezer for an easy to heat up meal once the baby arrives! Before serving, I will obviously be reheating it, but also adding plenty of mozzarella cheese and freshly chopped basil to the top. Cannot wait!
Adam had to have a piece before it went into the freezer.


Oh and just a word to the wise to any doctors out there: if you are going to tell an extremely pregnant woman at her 38 week appointment that her baby will be arriving "soon" you better mean within the next week or so, otherwise, you are just plain mean. Anytime between now and the Fourth of July is not considered to be "soon." Seven days (hopefully!) and counting and cannot wait!

1 comment:

  1. she'll be here soon! hugs from the burgh. -E

    ReplyDelete