Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homemade Baby Food!

Last year for Christmas my husband gave me a baby cookbook. I have been waiting patiently for nearly a year now for the chance to use it. Last month (with the go ahead from our pediatrician) Lyla had her first taste of rice cereal and because she has now masted that skill, the time has come for her to move on to her first vegetable.


After pouring over the baby cookbook, I finally settled on zucchini as her first veggie. This was insanely easy to make. I followed the directions exactly as the book stated and judging by her empty bowl, I am pretty sure Lyla was pleased with the results.

Start off by washing and cutting 3 zucchinis into 1 inch thick pieces. Place the zucchini into a steamer filled with an inch of water and cover.


Steam the zucchini for about 9 minutes or until very tender.


Transfer zucchini to a food processor and blend until completely smooth.


And done! Wait about 30 minutes or so to allow the puree to come to room temperature before serving or storing. 

I spent plenty of time researching proper storing and freezing methods so that her food will be kept as healthy and fresh as possible. I found that food will keep (in an air tight container) for 3 days in the refrigerator or for up to 3 months in the freezer. To freeze, I first let the puree cool, then divided it up into ice cube trays. I put the trays in the freezer until the food had hardened and then transferred the cubes to a freezer-weight plastic bag which I labeled with the date and type of food. I thought this would be the best practice as I make more and more food.


A few things to note: although more expensive, I bought (and plan to always buy when possible) organic zucchini. I do not want Lyla to ingest pesticides or any other unnatural products. Especially when making purees that include the skin, such as zucchini, it is even more important to go organic. Also, some vegetables will require you to add additional liquids when pureeing (such as breast milk or water). Zucchini is a water heavy veggie and therefore did not need any additional liquid.

The zucchini puree was so easy to make and Lyla loved it! She ate her first bowl in what has to be record timing.


Next up, sweet potato puree for my sweet baby girl! Who would have thought making baby food would be so much fun?!

No comments:

Post a Comment