Friday, September 9, 2011

Just to See Her Smile

I am head over heels in love with Lyla. I never knew I could love anything or anyone this much. And although I am sure I'm biased, I am also pretty sure I have the cutest baby in the entire world. Every day she does something cuter than the day before and she wins me over in an instant when she smiles up at me with those big, beautiful blue eyes. It absolutely melts my heart. I can be going on 3 hours of sleep, be in desperate need of a shower, and wondering why it is that she has not stopped crying for the last hour, and then she smiles at me and it all becomes worth it.

Melts your heart, doesn't it?
As crazy in love that I am with her, I cant lie. Having a two month old baby can make many simple things just a tad bit difficult. Cooking is one of them. Her naps are still unpredictable and dinner time is usually the fussiest time of the day. Even going to the grocery store (something that I use to love) has now become a frantic race to see how quickly I can get items into the cart. And more often than not, I end up grabbing things that I have no purpose for and missing the majority of items I had actually intended to buy. Yesterday, for example I was the crazy lady at Metro Mart pushing a huge cart with a carseat on top, holding a screaming kid in my other hand and just throwing things into the cart (if you saw me there, I apologize!). I'd push the cart forward, grab the next item and repeat. I am sure I was a sight to see. She cried the entire time I was in the store, then took it up a whole other notch when I tried to put her back in her car seat so we could drive home. The poor thing exhausted herself so much that this is what I had when we finally arrived home:

Note the bag of groceries being held captive under her car seat.
Adorable? Yes. Great cooking partner? Hell no. So as we continue to adjust to life with a little one, fancy and fun has gone out the door and quick and easy meals have replaced them. Two of our favorite go to meals have been barbecue pork in the slow cooker and pesto chicken.

My slow cooker has probably become my best friend over the last 2 months (thank you C. Brown!). It is wonderful to be able to throw a few items in the cooker at the beginning of the day and return to it 8 hours later to find a delicious meal. It has saved me many-a-times. This one is actually a recipe that my mom had shared with me and it is oh-so-good. It is very similar to a pulled pork, but a million times more simple. So often I have spent hours preparing pulled pork, not to mention using an endless number of ingredients. This recipe requires 4 ingredients and about 10 minutes of your time.

Start off by cleaning and trimming your pork. Cover all sides with the rub of your choice, be it store bought or your own creation (I used an applewood rub). Place the pork in the slower cooker and add water until it reaches about half way up the pork. Cover and cook on high for 7-8 hours.


Once the meat is fork tender, drain the water keeping about 1 cup for the sauce. Next, shred the meat.


Add the cup of reserved water and about a cup of your favorite barbecue sauce (KC Masterpiece is obviously the best option here.) Stir together and let simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes.


Serve as is, or on a bun if you prefer and with the sides of your choice. Seriously, the easiest meal ever!


Our second quick and easy go to meal has been pesto chicken. Now, I know all of you are aware that I love growing my own basil. There is no better smell than that of freshly picked basil and the taste doesn't even compare to that of the store bought stuff. I also despise store bought pesto. It is just not the same as when you make it yourself. And pesto is so easy to make, there is no need to buy it.

To start off, take 2 cups of fresh basil and 1/4 cup of pine nuts and blend together. Add in 1/2 cup or so of extra virgin olive oil and blend until smooth. Finally add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.



On the thickest side of your chicken breast, using a knife, cut a pocket in the chicken. Add in about a tablespoon or so of the fresh pesto.



Cook the chicken at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add even amounts of the remaining pesto on top of the chicken along with a slice of tomato and a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Cook for 2 more minutes until the pesto and tomato have become warm.



I am sure someday soon I will be able to get back to cooking those fun, fancy meals (and in a few years, I have no doubt I will have that great cooking partner in my little Lyla! or at least a great cookie tasting partner.), but in the mean time, I'll continue to share some of the quick and easy ones I am relying on. And even on those shower-less, sleepless days, I know that I will always choose Lyla's beautiful smile over a home cooked meal. There is just nothing that can compare.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE!!! :) you're welcome! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I am going to be frequenting looking for new recipes after my baby's arrival in a few weeks- quick and easy is going to be completely necessary! -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy! So glad you like it! I will keep adding some of those easy ones I am using. So excited for you and your baby girl! Btw, just looked at the pictures of your nursery; so cute! I am beyond impressed!

    ReplyDelete