Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Something with Pumpkin for My Valentine

It was five years ago that I made my then boyfriend, now husband, pumpkin cookies. I think at the time he was a little skeptical of what pumpkin was doing in a cookie. Apparently, up until that point in his life, pumpkin came out only once a year and in the form of a pie, never a cookie (unless of course it was a pumpkin for carving). He tried my pumpkin cookies though, and after just one bite declared his love for those pumpkin cookies, crowned them King of all cookies and now request them throughout the year regardless of the number of months that separate us from Thanksgiving. Five years ago, I had no idea that I had created a monster, a pumpkin loving monster, who over and over again request “something with pumpkin” whenever I ask him what he would like for a particular occasion.  
As Valentine's Day rolled around this year, I knew I wanted to make him a very special meal, one that would show just how much I love him and how thankful I am that he is my Valentine, not just on February 14th, but every day of the year. But when I asked him if he had any special request for his Valentine’s Day dinner the only thing I got out of him was “something with pumpkin.” No decadent chocolate soufflĂ©, no chocolate candies in the shape of hearts, nothing that had anything to do with romance, love or anything Valentine’s Day related. He wanted pumpkin. I should have suspected as much seeing as how on his last birthday he did the same thing and requested a Pumpkin Cake rather than a traditional birthday cake (darn those pumpkin cookies). But no, I was caught off guard once again and needed to come up with “something with pumpkin” that was worthy to follow the beef tenderloin with red wine mushroom sauce, mushroom risotto, broccoli and rosemary bread dinner that I had planned for that evening. 



We didn’t need another course added to our meal, so pumpkin soup was a no go. I was already planning on mushroom risotto, so pumpkin risotto wouldn’t work. Dessert was the only course remaining that I could squeeze in something pumpkin. I couldn’t make pumpkin cookies though, they were already made too often and just not elegant or special enough for this occasion, no matter how tasty they were. Pumpkin Pie was out of the question, it just didn’t feel right. I had already made Pumpkin Cake with Maple Frosting for his birthday and really did not feel like repeating myself. So in desperation I turned to my favorite culinary reads and once again was not let down. Fine Cooking provided me with the perfect “something with pumpkin” recipe that was elegant, simple to make and added the perfect touch to our Valentine's Day's meal: Pumpkin Cake with Sage. 


I started off by combining all of the dry ingredients into one bowl: flour, baking powder, ground ginger and salt.


Next, I melted a stick and a half of butter and freshly chopped sage in a small sauce pan.



Once the butter mixture had cooled, I combined it with a cup of sugar, a cup of brown sugar, fresh pumpkin puree, 3 eggs and a splash of vanilla. 




Next, I gradually added in the flour mixture and stirred until combined.



Finally, I scrapped the batter into a greased bundt cake pan and baked at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. 



Once the cake had cooled, I removed it from the pan and decorated with with fresh leaves of sage. 

Although completely unexpected, this "something with pumpkin" was a great addition to our Valentine's Day. I had been worried that a pumpkin dessert would not be special enough on the day ruled by chocolate and I really wanted to make the perfect dinner for my very deserving husband. So as he took his first bite, I watched in great anticipation. My Valentine fell in love though and said it was even better than his pumpkin birthday cake. He is somehow already trying to determine when he can request this cake again... Memorial Day, 4th of July, some random day in March? In the meantime though, he has plenty of leftovers to keep this Valentine's Day going for the rest of the week. 

Happy Valentine's Day to all! And to my Valentine, thank you for being mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment