Monday, June 21, 2010

Fresh From the "Garden"

I absolutely love gardening. My friends have joked that this is very old lady of me, but I assure them the benefits are worth it. Unfortunately at this point in time, I do not have a backyard of my own to turn into my oasis, but rather a good size deck off the back of our townhouse. For now this and pots work well, but I am always looking forward to the day that I can take over a yard.



I recently added several more pots of basil and a tomato plant to my “garden” (there are over 20 tomatoes already growing after just a few short weeks! - pictured above). After spending a very enjoyable afternoon at Home Depot – again my friends would surely claim that to be very old lady like – I got to work repotting multiple herbs and vegetables and newly planting yet another round of basil (pictured above). My husband laughs at my excitement over the progress of my plants and my eagerness to check on them every day after arriving home from work, but he never seems to complain when his dinners are filled with fresh herbs and veggies. In fact he raves at the difference they make and I could not agree more. Nothing compares to the freshness your own plants can provide.


  

Although I believe with the right tools and a little care and dedication, anyone can grow an herb or vegetable plant of their own, starting from scratch may not be for everyone. If you are hesitatant to take that leap of faith right now but do not want to lose out on the benefits, stop by your local farmer’s market and see what they have to offer. I am all for supporting local farmers and the freshness cannot be underestimated. Most farmer's markets will have plenty of flowers, herbs, and vegetable plants for sale. Some will sell smaller bunches of herbs that the buyer would need to replant in a larger pot or in the ground, but you can sometimes find a vendor who has already done all the dirty work and potted the plant for you. From there all that is required is sunlight, water and a few fabulous recipes. You never know, adding fresh basil to homemade pasta just may change your life or at the very least your meal.

Happy gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment