Thursday, July 15, 2010

In Honor of Jillian: Low-Fat Banana Bread



I am addicted to Losing it with Jillian. I do not know what it is about this show, but I am hooked. Ever since I saw the last 15 minutes of the very first episode I was done for. I was never a fan of The Biggest Loser, so I am not entirely sure where my addiction is coming from. Perhaps it is because I am an avid runner and am hooked on the endorphins that result. I cannot imagine my life without my workouts. They are my sanity and as crazy as some people find it, I love them. Or maybe it’s because I truly enjoy healthy homemade meals over greasy restaurant food. Or perhaps this is just a freaking good show, either way I am a dedicated viewer.


In any given episode, Jillian surprises the contestant’s by showing up at their houses and promptly moving in with them for a week of serious booty kicking. In that week she teaches them everything they need to know about healthy eating (throws out all the junk food in their house and always takes them to Subway – a little advertising – at least it’s not the extreme and obvious product placement that was The Biggest Loser), exercising (sweat, blood and tears) and even does a little family intervention when necessary. Jillian screams and yells at the contestants as is her known way. There is often crying and occasionally throwing up. It’s great. 

At the end of the week, Jillian sits the contestants down and they all make vows of what they are going to accomplish over the next six weeks before her return. This usually involves a weight loss goal, family promises, and lots and lots of tears and hugs. And with that Jillian is off, only to return six weeks later for the big unveiling. 
The show ends with Jillian’s return and the contestants get to show off their new bodies. Often there is drastic weight loss and obvious change, other times the contestants are looking healthier and fit, but it’s not the “wow” moment you were expecting. Either way, episode after episode, I am impressed with Jillian and her ability to significantly change these people’s lives in one short week. Granted, I am not a complete fool and know that during those six weeks there is presumably a lot of coaching and guidance from Jillian’s staff, health professionals and access to her website (jillianmichaels.com) which is stocked full of helpful weight loss tools. But still, what this show is doing for families across America is truly amazing and inspiring. 
So in honor of Jillian and all she is doing to fight obesity, heart disease, diabetes and the general unhealthiness that plagues our country, I wanted to share some healthy recipes for everyone who is working hard to achieve their weight loss goals and/or lifestyles changes. I do not believe in forbidding any one item from your diet (side note – when I say “diet” I am not referring to the modern term of dieting, but rather the food we consume each day – we all have diets). Rather, I am a strong proponent of moderation, healthy choices and active lifestyles. For many people, the idea of completely cutting out one type of food – be it carbohydrates, sugar, desserts, etc. – can actually be more harmful than occasionally allowing it. By eliminating particular foods, many people end up wanting it more, unable to get it out of their minds, eventually resulting in a blown diets and binge reactions. Although this is not the case for everyone, I have seen it happen enough to know that for me moderation, healthy choices and an active lifestyle is where it’s at. 
Often on Losing it with Jillian the contestants say something along the lines of “I do not know how to make healthy choices,” “I need someone to teach me,” or “I do not know what is good for me and what is not.” These statements appall me time after time. I am waiting for the moment when such statements will no longer shock me to my core; it has yet to happen. Instead, it is jaw to the floor and me yelling to Adam in the other room “how the hell do they not know!” 

Often Jillian will discover that the contestants consume high quantities of fried, processed, greasy food. Many times there are scenes of a family gulping down fast food/high calories meals from McDonald's and other similar chains, as well as myriads of other “oh so not good for you” items. It would be one things if these occurrences were once every couple of weeks, but for many of these families it is daily affair. It is no surprise that many of them are at high risk for diabetes and/or using sleep apnea machines because their bodies cannot breathe on their own. It is truly heart breaking, often times, infuriating and even more proof that we need better education and wellness programs in our schools and workplaces.
Jillian is doing her part to help educate and fight this epidemic and I want to at least do something to help support individuals like the ones one this show. So with no further ado and in the spirit of healthy choices and moderation, here is my better for you, cannot resist banana bread. It is perfect for breakfast, snacks, dessert or just anytime you need a boost of energy (see below for alterations). This bread is packed full of healthy ingredients such as whole wheat flour, low-fat yogurt and is overflowing with vitamin packed bananas. It tastes so great, that you wouldn't have know it is low-fat until I told you. This bread is not dry or bland like other low-fat baked goods and I know Jillian would most definitely approve.  So use this recipe instead of the other full-fat ones and remember it’s all about moderation, healthy choices and active lifestyles.


Low-Fat Banana Bread:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of butter
2 large eggs
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 large ripe bananas
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
In a large bowl add the softened butter and sugar and beat until mixed. Add one egg at a time and beat until fully incorporated. Add the mashed bananas, yogurt and vanilla. 
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon. A little bit at a time, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir only until ingredients are mixed. Do not over mix the batter.
Pour into a Pam sprayed loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean.
Alterations:  Adding 1/2 cup of chocolate or peanut butter chips to this recipe will turn it into a decadent dessert (and a much better option than chocolate cake!) that the whole family can enjoy without adding too many extra calories. In fact, try dark chocolate chips which are full of good for you antioxidants! And if you need a power breakfast, feel free to add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts to provide an extra energy boost and help you power through your morning.  
Continue to look for other “In honor of Jillian” recipes and feel free to leave comments for any other "In honor of Jillian" recipes you would like to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment