Monday, July 12, 2010

When the Pantry is Bare: Orange, Ginger, Tomato Shrimp w/Orzo

Last night was one of those nights where the dinner hour was quickly approaching and I had yet to plan a menu. Adam got home from a long day of studying and looked at me with that ‘I am very hungry’ face and I knew I had to come up with something good and fast. I quickly rummaged through the refrigerator to asset what we had on hand. It had been a few days since our last trip to the grocery store, so I knew my options were going to be limited. After spotting an orange and a ginger root (both left over from dishes made earlier in the week), my mind raced back to a recipe that I had seen a few months prior which included orange, ginger and shrimp. Luckily shrimp was one of the few ingredients I knew I had in stock. Knowing I did not have the time or energy to find the exact recipe, I started to throw things together and relied on taste tests along the way to get me to a flavorful and healthy dish. So, here is my quick and easy ‘there is nothing left in the pantry, tomato, orange and ginger shrimp dish' for when you are in a bind and time is not on your side.
What you need:
Ginger Root
1 Orange - zest and juice
Red Pepper Flakes
1 can plum tomatoes
Salt
Onion Powder
Pepper
Shrimp
Orzo
Fresh Basil
Cherry Tomatoes
Step 1: Peel and devein the shrimp. In one bowl combine the cleaned shrimp, orange zest, red pepper flakes, a bit of freshly squeezed orange juice, and freshly grated ginger. Set aside.


Step 2: In a skillet bring to a simmer the canned tomatoes, remaining fresh orange juice, fresh ginger, salt, pepper and onion powder to taste. Allow to cook on low until the flavors come together and the sauce thickens - about 20 minutes.


Step 3: Boil a pot of salted water. Once boiled add in one cup of uncooked orzo. Cook for 8-10 minutes until done. Drain and set aside.


Step 4: Head out to your garden and pick a handful of fresh basil and cherry tomatoes. Rinse, dry and chop. Set aside.


Step 5: Into a saute pan, pour the shrimp mixture and cook through. 


Step 6: Add the cooked shrimp mixture to the tomato sauce and cook for a few minutes until all the flavors blend together.


Step 7: Layer the shrimp and tomato sauce on top of the orzo. Finish it off with fresh chopped basil and cherry tomatoes.


Step 8: Serve with salad and a great bottle of Sauvignon Blanc or Fume Blanc. 
Although I usually like to plan out my meals (from a full grocery list to a detailed step by step strategy for conquering multiple pans, grills and all the necessary chopping while keeping all my fingers intact and skin unburned), there is nothing like a time crunch to force me into using my imagination as well as the leftover ingredients the refrigerator. Experimenting with new or made up on the spot recipes is the best way to learn what works and what doesn’t; what flavors go together and what combinations equal disaster. This quick whip up dish surprised me. In my desire to instantly get it on the table, I was worried that I would end up with a bland, flavorless and overall boring dish, but its robust, spicy flavor was a pleasant surprise. The freshness and lightness of the ginger, basil and cherry tomatoes balanced out the spice and left us guessing with each bite and continually reaching for more. Not to mention it was a very healthy option and only took about 20 minutes to make!
Lesson learned from latest cooking adventure: Don’t let limited time or an empty pantry deter you from trying something new. The recipes you randomly throw together, just might end up being some of your favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment